Monday, October 4, 2010

Sugar Cookie Encore




When I saw the September challenge, I quickly emailed Erica, quoting the challenge:

"It took me a long while to decide on a challenge and eventually I settled on something that I had never done before but had long admired. Decorated Sugar Cookies, and I’m not talking random squiggles and dots, I’m talking about beautifully decorated cookies that are perfect to give as a gift or to make for party or wedding favours."

I'm pretty sure this means that you have to help me make, say 240 cookies to give out as wedding favors. How does that sound? :-)
Her response:

Ooooo!!! Definitely a sign, though not for 240 cookies :)

So instead we gathered in early September to make some fall themed cookies (and some to celebrate my friend's birthday).


We started with some very easy sugar cookie dough. I make a lot of cookies, and this one was very simple (and sadly, not very tasty...). We looked through Erica's collection of cookie cutters, finding only a star of david and some other not-quite-fall-appropriate shapes. So we rolled out the dough and began some freeform shapes, deciding that fall leaves were the most achieveable.



Once the cookies were baked, we tried our hand at decorating. Our baking skills generally fall into oh-so-tasty, rather than oh-so-pretty. However, we did succeed in making some of them look presentable (I must confess, however, that we largely stole ideas from other daring bakers....).

We took them outside for a beautiful September day photo shot - notice the view straight to the bay!



So while these cookies were not meant to be wedding favours (or really for consumption by anyone), our wedding guests were not want for homemade treats. Cookies (of a more tasty variety) were made...


And beer was brewed by Erica and her boyfriend...

We were pretty happy campers!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

were those cookies actually served at your wedding?

Sara Clark said...

The last pic of cookies are some of the ones we gave out in guest bags.